Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Good bye USA Hello ZIUTANEJO


Traveling all night is sort of the way to go as far as plane flights go. If you are like me and can sleep anywhere when you are tired that is. Last night our plane left from Sacramento at midnight. Perfect time to get on the plane get comfy and take a nap. Just what I did. I barely could wake up in Houston to get off the plane for our layover, but once I did I slept again all way here to Ziutanejo.


The airport here is small, not San Luis Obispo small but same sort of deal where you have to deplane to the outside and not down a jet way. The baggage all arrives on a turnstyle the size of a small SUV. Starting out in Mexico seems like a great plan as I have been down to Baja many times and I am pretty comfortable with the language. This all turns out to be true. Minus the luggage situation Lacy and I are struggling (ours keeps breaking and are super heavy but we need to get in shape anyway) the arrival went very smooth.


Our hostel instructions...the sole thing we looked up before the trip about our first destination were fairly vague but very clear once you see the place. Go diagonally across the parking lot. Wait by the main road for a bus with a purple stripe. Board and tell them to take you to Ziutanejo´s central market. So we walk across get accossted by cabs. We stood firm as we are now on a strict budget. Standing there seemed odd, there was no sign and not really any buses coming and going. 6 min later along. The bus was simply a mini van with the seats taken out and skinny ones put around the parimeter. Soon we picked up many more people this way. Everyone unfazed by the fact that Lacy and I had bags every where. They jumped on greating Buenos Tardes to everyone aboard. It was completely on the honor system of just pay for what you rode when you get off. Things immediately started to slow down in my head and I was able to sit back and enjoy the bus. I knew it was the first of many. The whole journey which took about a half hour only cost a dollar to the 30 that the cabbies were offering. I unfortunately will not be able to get cabbies direct numbers here.


Our hostel turned out to be just like the pictures and we have two roomates so far in our dorm. One is named Beth apparently so must be cool. Today we walked around sans map. Still not going to do too much worrying about what and where we are. Not even wearing watches. The beaches are already great to be on. It seems that people have come to walk and do things to the pace of the slow waves in the cove here. I will post pictures when I take some. Miss you all. Hopefully the next few days here will make for some good stories. Kisses

1 comment:

Tove said...

Sounds incredible, I think its time for another update!